Source Sports Chatter

Friday, July 22, 2011

What a summer

Hello bloggers.
What a summer it has been, especially the scorching temperatures we've endured this week. I guess we shouldn't complain after the cold and wet spring we had here in Michigan.
Do you have a bucket list? You know, one of those lists which involves things you want to do and places you want to see before you die.
I have one and it involves checking out all the Major League baseball stadiums. So far our family has hit the ball parks in Milwaukee, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Detroit, and a few weeks ago we checked off St. Louis and Cincinnati (My son has been to Tampa, but I haven't so it's still on the list).
Cincinnati had a very nice ball park, but it was far from my favorite. Its location on the Ohio River is very cool and concourse area with lots of history of former players on the walls is very cool. However, it wasn't very cozy. Our seats were in the upper deck along third base and I knew we were pretty high up when it took three escalators and a handshake with God to get to my seat. The upper deck steps were very steep and it seemed like we were so far away from the action on the field.
Conversely, our trip to New Busch Stadium in St. Louis was worth the trip.
I loved that place. It ranks right up there with Pittsburgh and Milwaukee. The history of the statues outside the ball park where anyone can get a picture of without a ticket is terrific. The Gateway Arch is clearly visible from anywhere in the ball park and they even have a design of the arch cut into the outfield grass.
The concourse area around the stadium was very good, with Comerica Park-type walkways that were very wide.
Unlike Comerica Park, St. Louis brought in a key piece of old Busch Stadium, hanging the out-of-town scoreboard in the concourse. The also left it as the way it looked when the final out was made in the Cardinals last game at the stadium. This was a pretty cool feature.
We're already talking about next year's tour, with preliminary talks taking us to New York for the Yankees and Mets, possibly Boston, Baltimore and Washington, and maybe a stop in Toronto.
Have you hit any of these baseball shrines. If so, I'd love to hear your thoughts on them.

Kevin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Name:
Location: Shelby Township, Michigan, United States

I am a graduate of Chippewa Valley High School (Class of 1986) and graduated from Oakland University in 1992. I have been a sports writer for the Source Newspaper for 14 years and love high school sports. I am married. My wife, Darlene, and I have been married for 14 years and have two children -- Kevin and Brandon.

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]