Source Sports Chatter

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Thursday thoughts

Hello bloggers. Hope everyone is enjoying the great weather today.
Things are slowing down on the local high school sports scene as Easter and Spring Break draws near. The only activity going on locally next week is the Spring Break Baseball Tournament at Kyte Monroe in St. Clair Shores.
The tournament features high school baseball teams from around the area. Area teams participating include Ford II, Sterling Heights, Stevenson and Utica. The tournament begins on Monday morning and to find out when your favorite team is playing, check out The Source this Sunday or our website, www.sourcenewspapers.com for the schedule.
Another big event happening this weekend is the Final Four in Indianapolis. Of course, as you already know, Michigan State is there and will face a very good Butler team on Saturday night.
How about those Spartans? Are you as surprised as I am that they made it to the Final Four?
The more I think about it, it shouldn't be that big of a shocker because of one person, Tom Izzo.
Izzo, like he has every year, has his team ready at tournament time. He's a motivator, leader and has the ability to somehow get his players to play at their best.
Let me know what you're thoughts on this MSU run. Do you think they can beat Butler? Or better yet, can MSU win the National Championship? Send me your thoughts.
Finally, Monday isn't just the championship game for the NCAA Tournament, it's also Opening Day for our Detroit Tigers.
Detroit opens the season on the road at Kansas City on Monday afternoon, before opening the home portion of its season on Friday against Cleveland.
I might be in the minority, but I truly think the Tigers can win the American League Central Division. I believe their starting pitching is as good as anyone else in the division and with the addition of Johnny Damon, the offense should be respectable, but not outstanding. Still, it should be good enough to get the job done.
The one area of concern is staying healthy. If the Tigers suffer a ton of injuries, they're in big trouble. I just don't think they have the depth that teams like Minnesota and the Chicago White Sox have.
Where do you think the Tigers will finish this season? Let me know. I'd love to chat about it.

Have a Happy Easter everyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Name:
Location: Shelby Township, Michigan, United States

I am a graduate of Chippewa Valley High School (Class of 1986) and graduated from Oakland University in 1992. I have been a sports writer for the Source Newspaper for 14 years and love high school sports. I am married. My wife, Darlene, and I have been married for 14 years and have two children -- Kevin and Brandon.

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]