Source Sports Chatter

Thursday, April 8, 2010

What a week of baseball

While many high school students enjoyed Spring Break vacations this week, many area baseball players were competing at the Macomb County Spring Break Tournament at Kyte Monroe Park.
The weather cooperated for the most part and there were some very good games played.
This tournament is a perfect opportunity for coaches to find out where their team is at so early into the season. Each area team played at least five games this week and Stevenson made it through pool play (four games) with only one loss. Utica and Ford II were both 1-1 heading into Thursday's action, while Sterling Heights was 0-4 in its four games.
The tournament carries on Friday and Saturday. Check it out if you get some free time.

Also, two games into the season and the Tigers are already scaring me. Is it only me or do you think that Jose Valverde is just like Todd Jones and Fernando Rodney as a closer? Do you already hold your breath when he takes the hill to save a game? I hope he settles into his new surroundings quickly and takes that nervous edge off us fans when he enters a game.
Other than that, I've been satisfied with the Tigers effort through two games. The offense is inconsistent, but we all knew that coming in. But, good outings by starting pitchers Justin Verlander and Max Scherzer is a good early sign for the team.

The NFL Draft is just a couple weeks away and who do you think the Lions should select in the first round.
Personally, I would go with Suh, the big defensive tackle from Texas. He's the best player on the board and when you have the second pick of the draft, you get the best player available. If Suh goes No. 1 to St. Louis, I hope the Lions will draft Gerald McCoy, the defensive tackle from Oklahoma. He would be a nice consolation prize. He, like Suh, is a big, gifted athlete that will make the team instantly better.
Who do you think the Lions should draft? I'd love to talk with you about it. Send me a note.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Name:
Location: Shelby Township, Michigan, United States

I am a graduate of Chippewa Valley High School (Class of 1986) and graduated from Oakland University in 1992. I have been a sports writer for the Source Newspaper for 14 years and love high school sports. I am married. My wife, Darlene, and I have been married for 14 years and have two children -- Kevin and Brandon.

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]