Source Sports Chatter

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Happy Thursday bloggers

Hey there bloggers, how is everyone doing?
It's a damp a dreary Thursday afternoon, but the Tigers are on the verge of taking three of four games from the Yankees. That would be as good as sunshine.
Since my last post, we've had to endure the unfortunate passing of Ernie Harwell.
Everyone who listened to the Tigers when Harwell was doing games had that sense that they knew him personally, even though they had never met him in person.
Luckily, I had a chance to meet Harwell back in 1994 when I worked at the Huron Daily Tribune in Bad Axe.
My sports editor and I attended a Michigan Associated Press Sports Writers Convention in Midland. After a round of golf with other Michigan sports writers, we gathered for dinner and a meeting at a hotel. Following the meeting, Harwell spoke to us about the sport he loved the most, baseball.
He talked for about 20 minutes and then hung around, talking individually to anyone who wanted to shake his hand and say, "Hi."
I had an opportunity to talk with Harwell for about 10 minutes and I must say he was the nicest man I've ever talked with. He was truly genuine. How everyone saw him in any news interview he ever conducted, that's how he was with everyone there.
I will cherish the memory of that day with Ernie and God bless his soul in heaven.
Did you ever meet Ernie Harwell? If you did, I'd love to hear you story.

1 Comments:

Blogger Julie Szydlowski said...

Hi Kevin,
I was in the gift shop at the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown several years ago and I saw a copy of Ernie's biography on display. It was right before Father's Day so I thought it would make a good gift for my dad, especially since I could say I bought it in Cooperstown. But for some reason I put the book back and continued back to the museum to view the exhibits. Then suddenly an announcement came over the speakers telling us that Ernie Harwell just made a surprise visit to the Hall of Fame and was in the building! The announcer said he would be giving a presentation in the theater in about 20 minutes and would do a Q&A afterward. I raced back to the gift shop and bought 2 copies of the book and then made it to the theater in time for his presentation which was fantastic. During the Q&A I was one of the lucky few he picked to ask a question (I asked him what his feelings were when he called his final play at the last game at Tigers Stadium). As you can imagine, he gave a great, heartfelt answer and then afterward signed my books - one for me, one for my dad and let me get a picture of him and me. I put a copy of the picture in the book, wrapped it and sent it to my dad. In the card I said "Guess who I met in Cooperstown...open the present and you'll see!" My dad was thrilled (about as thrilled as I was with the whole experience myself!!). The best thing is that my dad then took the picture and sent it to Ernie Harwell asking him to sign it for my upcoming birthday - which he did. It's one of the greatest presents I've ever received. Mr. Harwell was just as you said - the nicest, most genuine class act around. I'll miss him a lot. Thanks for letting me share my story!

May 26, 2010 at 2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Name:
Location: Shelby Township, Michigan, United States

I am a graduate of Chippewa Valley High School (Class of 1986) and graduated from Oakland University in 1992. I have been a sports writer for the Source Newspaper for 14 years and love high school sports. I am married. My wife, Darlene, and I have been married for 14 years and have two children -- Kevin and Brandon.

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]