Source Sports Chatter

Thursday, July 14, 2011

A day to remeber

Greetings bloggers. It's been a while, but I'm back and ready to blog.
Just wanted to share with all of you the opportunity I had on Wednesday afternoon.
I went out and covered the Sterling Heights Chamber of Commerce & Industry luncheon at the American-Polish Century Club.
The reason for the luncheon was to honor two former area high school football players, Nick McDonald, who graduated from Ford II, and Frank Zombo, who graduated from Stevenson. Both are currently members of the Super Bowl champion Green Bay Packers.
I know the Detroit Red Wings have won four Stanley Cups over the last 15 years, and each time they did, there were many parties where the Cup was at for people to take a photo with or drink from it.
Unfortunately, I was never able to have that experience, but would love to do so if the opportunity should present itself someday.
However, on Wednesday, McDonald and Zombo were both wearing their Super Bowl rings and were showing them off to the people attending the luncheon.
I wasn't letting this opportunity get past me.
I asked both players if they would allow me to have a photo taken with them and allow me to put their rings on my hand. They politely agreed and the photo was taken. It's a photo that will forever rest on the wall of my basement (my man cave).
As a reporter for this paper the last 17 years, I've watched hundreds, maybe over a 1000 young athletes come and go, but only a few have reached "The Show."
I remember both Nick and Frank playing at their respective high schools and to see them reap the rewards of their hard work in the NFL is awesome. They're both very good players, but more importantly, they're better human beings.
Nick and Frank, if you read this, thanks for taking the time to make this reporter's dream come true. It's a day that I will always reflect upon when I look at that photo on the wall.
Have any of you had this type of moment? If you have, I'd love to hear about it.

Until next time.

Kevin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Name:
Location: Shelby Township, Michigan, United States

I am a graduate of Chippewa Valley High School (Class of 1986) and graduated from Oakland University in 1992. I have been a sports writer for the Source Newspaper for 14 years and love high school sports. I am married. My wife, Darlene, and I have been married for 14 years and have two children -- Kevin and Brandon.

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]