Source Sports Chatter

Friday, February 26, 2010

Friday night hoops

What a night for area basketball teams.
I was at Eisenhower's thrilling 46-45 win over Romeo.
The Eagles won the game on a free throw by Lucas Thomas with .5 left in the game. This was a defensive battle throughout as open shots were hard to find.
Eisenhower held a seven-point lead with just over a minute to play, before several turnovers allowed Romeo to tied the game on a layup with 11 seconds to play.
Eisenhower was led by Joe Wirth with 12 points, while Corey Petros added 11 points, 21 rebounds and seven assists. Not bad for a 6-9 center.
In other games, Utica lost to host Grosse Pointe South 51-48 in overtime, while Parkway Christian defeated Detroit Westside Christian 43-39 behind 10 points and 17 boards by Josh Schick, whose had a monster year for the Eagles.
In girls hoops on Friday night, Utica defeated L'Anse Creuse 50-39 in a MAC crossover tilt, while Parkway Christian stormed past Bethany Christian 67-22.
If you went to a game on Friday night, I'd love to hear about it. Or, if you're interested in giving some thoughts on this week's girls basketball districts, I'd love to hear who you think is the team to beat.
In the Chippewa Valley district, I think the host Big Reds are the team to beat. One team I think has a good shot at knocking the Big Reds off is Utica, and those two teams face each other in Monday night's district opener at 5:30 p.m. That should be a good one.
Another team to watch out for is Ford II. The Falcons are my sleeper because they play solid defense and as we all know, defense wins championships.
Do you agree? Let me know who you think will hoist the trophy next Friday night.
Have a good weekend and I hope to hear from you soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Name:
Location: Shelby Township, Michigan, United States

I am a graduate of Chippewa Valley High School (Class of 1986) and graduated from Oakland University in 1992. I have been a sports writer for the Source Newspaper for 14 years and love high school sports. I am married. My wife, Darlene, and I have been married for 14 years and have two children -- Kevin and Brandon.

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]